Saturday, July 21, 2012

What I've learned from juicing

The Russian and I watch gaming youtube videos, which I know isn't too popular for most women.  It started as his way to "teach" me how I should be playing games like Call of Duty: Black Ops, but he's probably sorry now as I keep beating him when we battle each other.

Anyway, one of the channels we tune in to is Wings of Redemption.  Not only does he post videos of his game playing, he talks about thematic randomness.  Today, his newest video was regarding juice fasting.



Wings of Redemption recently watched the video Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead like I did (a year ago).  As he's on a quest to lose weight, Wings decided to undertake the challenge from the movie:  a 10 day juice fast.

Watching the video was somewhat motivational, as I do believe in juice fasting (to an extent), even if my current situation prohibits me from partaking in such at this point in time.  However, as I do have some experience juicing, there were some things I wanted to point out for someone wanting to juice.

Tips for juicing:

1. Mix fruit and veggies in each juice - fruit as an amazing way of covering up the taste of veggies.  Any juice consisting mainly of veggies requires fruit to make it palatable unless one is accustomed to juicing.

2. Add spinach - to juice spinach, roll it into a tight ball before dropping into the juicer.  If you just drop loose leaves into the juicer, they tend to be discarded instead of juiced.  The best part?  You can't taste the spinach - not in juice, not in smoothies, never.  It's literally the easiest way to incorporate veggies into your diet.

3. Don't juice orange/lime/lemon rind - two reasons, a) unless organic, the rind has a layer of wax to protect it which you probably don't want to eat and b) the rind is bitter.

4. Limit the amount - clean up of the juicer can be labor intensive, but fresh juice can go bad.  Specifically, carrot juice can go bad and you don't want to give yourself botulism or something of the sort by trying to make juice last for several days.  Another reason - nutrients are lost as the juice sits.  (Just google it.)

Some good veggies to juice:

Carrots - rather tasty
Cabbage - best described as a fresh taste
Brussel sprouts - surprisingly good
Tomatoes - only if you like the taste of tomato
Spinach - no taste/blends right in
Cucumbers - very refreshing
Parsnips - a bit of a bite

If you're interested in juice fasting, check out the Reboot website... a community created by Joe Cross from Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead.  It has details on how to fast, recipes, and community forums for motivation and help.

1 comment:

  1. I don't get a chance to read your blog very often but I saw this and my ears perked at "even if my current situation prohibits me from partaking..."
    Aha.
    -B

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...