Sunday, September 9, 2012

The Pillow Saga, pt. 1

It started two weeks ago.  I woke up with a backache and a pulling on my side.  At first, I think I just slept too long on one side.  But then it happens again the next night.

I have a sinking suspicion that this is pregnancy related.  But all I can think is: Are you kidding?  I'm 11 weeks along there, 11.  I can't imagine what it will be like when I'm 8 1/2 months along with a ginormous stomach to boot.

Needless to say, by the end of the week, I'm looking into maternity pillows.  Anything "maternity" seems to mean insanely expensive, so this option isn't too thrilling.

Imagine my luck when I take a trip to visit my parents and find out my brother has a body pillow...one he doesn't use.  As we're stealing his room from him while we're in town, I have the opportunity to use said pillow to my heart's content.

As sleep weighs heavy on my eyelids the first night, I crawl into bed.  Laying on my right, I snuggle into my body pillow as the Russian props an extra pillow against my back for support.  Perfect!  This should be a great night's sleep.  I don't even mind as I feel the Russian cuddling the pillow at my back.

I groggily wake up and wrestle my pillows around to face toward the Russian at some point.  (Of course, I can't spend the whole night on one side.)  A few hours later, I wake again and stumble down the hall to relieve myself.  Climbing back in bed, I realize something unfortunate - the Russian has a new best friend.  I go to grab my pillow, but it's cemented in his grasp.

Sleep slowly comes back to me, but I am devoid of my new comfort.  I wake again a few hours later, an ache slowly claiming my back.  That's it.  I grab the body pillow and pull with all my might.  The Russian finally lets go, sighs, and rolls over.

Victory at last!

(That's not to say that I didn't wake up with a backache again from spending half the night without the pillow...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...